Wednesday, September 28, 2016

September 5th - The woman of born again

Yeah time is still going by super fast. Can't believe i'll be home in less than a month! Just a lot of mixed feelings going on right now.

Thanks for the BYU football update its always good to hear about them! I'm excited to start watching them again :)

This week my companion finally got the approval to get out of the office and work. So this past wednesday we were together but we haven't had a full complete day together without any obstructions. This week we had exchanges, district meeting, and we had to handle emergency companion problems on the spot. It was difficult but nevertheless the Lord would attend us if we would do our part and listen with love. Miracles happened this week.

Perhaps the greatest miracle of all this week started on Friday and ended on Sunday. I don't know if you remember her, but there is a wife of a recent convert who won't get baptized because of the born again sponsorship of her grandson. She's his guardian so she has to be a part of it. From even before I was assigned here in Irosin she has always rejected baptism and insisted that she would be baptized after 5 years when the boy turns 21 and the sponsorship for schooling is over. I can't tell you how many times we have taught and testified to her. Almost everyday since I've been here (and I've been here for just over 3 months) we have taught this woman and her husband. And still she kept denying baptism. So after a companionship problem occurred in one area, us and our Sister Training Leaders decided on a fast for them. But we also decided to include our investigators. Specifically this woman. At the close of our fast we prepared to go teach this woman and her family and what occurred during the lesson has strengthened my testimony of the power of fasting and in God. We taught Proverbs 3:5-6 and testified with everything we had. I had always told this woman since about 4 weeks ago that I would see her and her husband in the water on October 1, my last saturday in the mission, as her husband baptizes her, and she would just laugh about it. Even though that was her heart's true desire. As we testified we paused and just let her feel the power of our words. And then the sweetest words came out of her mouth as she said "October 1.....I will get baptized. I promise I will and I will fulfill it." Words can't describe the miracle that had occurred. And it didn't end there that Saturday night. She attended church the next morning and we taught her later that night. We weren't sure what we should share but we just scanned our scriptures in D&C and found Section 82:7-10. We read it and the spirit confirmed to our hearts that that was the message she needed. So we get the lesson started and invite her to read verses 7 and 8. She then explained what she learned and said "So from here what God wants for me is not to turn back. I've started this journey, I've started coming to your church and I cannot turn back. I need to endure to the end." That basically summed up the message that we were aiming for before the lesson and she said it herself before we did. This woman has changed and is so happy right now. Especially her husband. She was touched by the fact that she could be eternal with her family and really wants to enter the temple. 

With this being said I will share with you what my mission president emailed me on August 16: "Work your hardest and endure to the end and you will see unexpected miracles." That was it. Short and simple, but powerful and true. 

I know that God lives and he is a God of Miracles. He performs them on behalf of our faith that we already have in him. God is Good!!

Love,


Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment