Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 27th - #Unforgettable moment (hash tag)

Man Alton is going home and Tana just began her mission and I've been out for nine months. I don't know where all the time goes. Reading Tana's letter was a flashback and I remember her teacher Brother Kaka. He's a cool guy and she's definitely right about him. 

Remember that story I shared last week about using the Book of Mormon to answer a man's question? I forgot to mention one of the fruits of his excitement. When he finally received the answer to his 18 year question he said with a big smile on his face "What a great day! July 7, 2015 #UnforgettableMoment" (yes he said "hash tag") That's the power of the Word brothers and sisters. 

Nothing really worth highlighting this week but know that we had a great week and made some great progress. Elder Mamapa and I feel confident about having a baptism next transfer. It's been while since I've seen someone enter the waters of baptism. 

This week we had interviews with President Guanzon. And it came to pass that I, Elder Brown, was desirous that I might know the things that had brought success unto my mission president. I asked him what attributed most to his success and how he was able to get to where he is today. In short he shared 3 things: 

Sacrifice, Trust, and Obedience

I really liked how he described sacrifice as an investment. When we put our trust in the Lord, we are willing to sacrifice our will, for his, and knowing that things will fall through for our benefit. In other words we are willing to be obedient to his commands. If we do these three things we are doing as Jesus taught many many years ago on the Mount; seeking first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. He also added that he can't keep his promises all the time because he's just a man, but God can because he has overcome all and he is a perfect being. 

I have already seen the blessings that come from missionary service. President Guanzon made mention that some people see 2 years as a waste of time and that there are better things to do but this is a 2 year investment in the Lord's promised blessings that come from missionary service. This is the most important work that you or I can ever do. The mission is still the best and I'm excited for you guys to be with Alton in just a couple days. You guys should just keep it down a little cause you're making me a little trunky hehe.


Love,

Elder Brown

Thank you very much for sending this book! It has definitely opened my mind to new things. One of the things I like in there is about the listening to other people. i've had 4 interviews with President Guanzon and he has told me everytime that I have a great listening ability and that I'm very perceptive. I applied some of the things about letting others talk about themselves with those I come in contact with and also with President. There is this one man that is a potential investigator and he's a very talkative person. He also is perceptive. He was talking to us and we were talking about english and tagalog and the difficulties we have. He commented on how even though I don't understand everything he says he appreciates the fact that I pay attention and show sincere interest and care for what he is saying. It makes him feel cared about and important. 

I finished the book this morning and I followed a lot of the advice it shared for getting the most of it. I've enjoyed the reaction of people's faces when I express sincere gratitude for their efforts. I plan on reading it over again. To think that I had this in my hands back in my youth and never once picked it up to read. haha. Thank you very much again and I love you guys!

I love you Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment