Monday, July 20, 2015

July 20th - BOM - the book is blue and the church is true!

Happy birthday Tana!  Ang bilis!  Yes I received the package today. It came in on Wednesday but I couldn't get it till today because I was on Batan of course. And yes the wait was long haha. Thank you mom and dad for buying garments and a shaver for my companion. My heart is filled with compassion towards him because of the life he has had growing up. It was like christmas when I told him the garments and a shaver was for him. That's one of the things I remember most profoundly about grandma and grandpa Muti. Their willingness to share with everyone and impart of their substance to those in need. 

This week was a great week. It was actually the best week in terms of progression of our investigators and key indicators that I've had while here on Batan. Our companionship is nothing but unselfish love and happiness.

My testimony of the spirit and that God keeps his promises have been strengthened tremendously this past week. As we left for Batan last tuesday we were almost broke (due to certain circumstances) and we had to survive till next monday in order to withdraw. I bought enough food for a couple days and had a little for buying snacks here and there. I remembered the words of our Savior Jesus Christ, when he teaches his sermon on the mount to the Nephites in ancient America. In 3 Nephi 13:25-34. I encourage you all to study it. To paraphrase the Lord tells us that we need not worry about our next meal or how will provide clothing for ourselves if we have faith in him and seek first his kingdom. That's exactly what we do as missionaries. The week before that we weren't fed by anyone. But this week they came left and right. One day we would have lunch and the next day we'd have our dinner. Sometimes it was even just bread and water and it was satisfying because we were hungry. 

Another great testimony builder came while we were teaching one of our very interested investigators. This past week I've been studying a lot about teaching by the spirit and wondering how I could rely on it more and invite it more into our lessons. One of the things that stuck out to me from Preach My Gospel was about bearing testimony frequently. I felt the difference in this one lesson to our interested investigators. We were teaching about the Book of Mormon. A lesson I've taught many times and also borne testimony of many times. Not only on my mission but before that too. But as I bore a testimony equivalent to that of a primary child I began to feel this pressure inside of me and it didn't fit. It began to burn within my bosom and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I started to tear up and cry. It was the first time I've done that on my mission. I remember I told them that I was grateful for the Book of Mormon and that it's true. That it's evidence of God's love and that I was grateful for the love he had for me and for all of God's children. I cannot deny that I the spirit was working within me. A lot of times I have wondered if I have been a successful missionary because we haven't had a lot of baptisms. But to know that the Lord blesses those who feel inadequate with the power of his Holy Spirit lets me know that I'm doing my job and that he's there for me.

I don't remember if I shared this with you before but it just adds to the power and importance of The Book of Mormon. About 2 weeks ago we were on the boat heading back to Batan. We sat on an open bench next to a man. As the minutes past he became interested in my reading. Well mostly because it was an english Book of Mormon. He asked me where I was from and what I was doing here. He also asked how it feels to know everything in the Bible haha. I asked him about his religious life and he belonged to a certain religion. I began to share with him a pass along card and the restoration and plan of salvation pamphlets. He was very very happy and expressed it. He then asked me another question that has been a great mystery to him for the past 18 years. From the time he was a 10 year old boy. He asked me what would've happened if Jesus Christ had not died for us and had not done what he had done for us? Immediately the scripture came to my mind and I began to expound 2 Nephi chapter 9 unto him. He was amazed and said that it all made sense to him now. He then began to elaborate that he had asked many other missionaries of other religions that same question and they were unable. They lacked the knowledge. What was the difference? The Book of Mormon. Who believes the Book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 

In a world filled with millions of God's children there are people who have questions that need answering. Questions that are deep within their soul. And the Book of Mormon provides just that. It answers questions of the soul. Hold fast continually to the iron rod and you will never go astray. Live by it's precepts and you will grow closer to God like never before. The Book is blue and the church is true my brothers and sisters. Let us feast upon the words that will bring us back into the presence of our loving Father in Heaven and His only begotten and beloved son, Jesus Christ. And let us follow the counsel of our living prophet who will only guide us to Eternal Life.


Love,
Elder Brown

P.s...Elder Raven said thank you for the Jandals!  My baptismal pants given to me by Eld. Lee Lo was adjusted from size 36 to size 30 to fit me.  Yup it's all safe and sound. Okay thanks for the clarification cause I was wondering about that bluetooth thing. Some of the garments were pretty big but you guys bought some just perfect for him. I wish God's blessings upon you as you start this new job. Thank you for always providing for all of us Dad. One of the things I remember that has still left on impact on me is leaving a tip at sit down restaurants and more importantly I think at the barber shop. I always remember to do so.

That's cool that theres a Fijian sister there cause there's a Fijian from Fiji, Elder Kinikini coming in this August to the mission. Thank you for your time and love.

Hi son,

I hope this letter finds you well.  Hopefully you got your package safe and sound.
Wanted to let you know that the little speaker we sent you has a rechargeable battery,
so you can take it with you to play for your investigators or for church.  It has blue tooth
as well.  To turn it off, you have to press the “On/Off” button twice.  Hope those pants and
garments fit you and companion ok.

Son, keep up the great work and foundation that you are building for your brothers and sisters
out there and for your loved ones at home.  People always comment on how they enjoy reading
about your and Alton’s experiences and testimonies.

Don’t worry too much about your weight.  Heavenly Father will bless you with the righteous desires
of your heart when you return home and pursue whatever goals and ambitions you may have.  Just
keep loving the people and serving others, especially your companion.  I know he has blessed you
and Alton so much.  We have reaped some of those blessings as well.

Tomorrow I am starting a new job.  Actually I’m still with the same company, but working in a different
department.  It’s called Water Management and I think I’ll be enjoying it a little more.  It’s a lot less physical
and we don’t have to working about carrying around any heavy iron pipes.

That’s about it for now son.  Take care and know we love you and pray for you daily.  There’s a Fijian (straight from Fiji) sister missionary
here in our ward in North Dakota, and every time I see her and her companion, it reminds me of you and Alton, so I always
have to give her and her companion money $$.  Keep up the great work son!

Love, Dad.

Thank you Mom for the treats!
Legazpi is the best mission!
My new favorite drink!

My little friends, Trish and Sean!
This is how we mow the lawn in the Philippines!

No comments:

Post a Comment