Monday, January 26, 2015

January 25th - Doctrine changes behavior

Man Bishop never ceases to amaze me. The Spirit is always strong with him!

I have no idea. I think they have a different definition of famous. I think it could be two things. Remember my friend Daniel Smith from our old place in bountiful? He's in that mission. Second i think it could be because I was really good friends with missionaries in our zone in the MTC and they are now in Urdaneta. But I honestly have no idea.

Wow thats an amazing and quick conversion! Who are the missionaries that are teaching him?? Is he still in Utah?

This week was very good for me and Elder Lee-Lo. We had our first baptism in our companionship. Sister Leonor was our investigator who has been taught for a loooong time by missionaries. She was baptized this past Saturday and she's doing so well. It was a long process of planting and nourishing the seed of her faith. 

This week we have been trying hard to help out a less-active man. He has a lot of family problems that irritate him to the point where he wants to kick out his son and daughter and his wife. He's 58 years old. We've taught him a lot about having faith and patience and most importantly, relying on the Savior and his atoning sacrifice. We also shared about forgiveness because his wife's lifeslyle is unbearable to him. I realized something during this past week. Here's what I found interesting:

So here me and my companion are, I'm 18, he's 22 and we do not have a wife and we don't have any kids. We've never experienced parenthood and yet, we have been called to teach this man. We don't have the education or knowledge of someone who deals with marriage and family problems, nor have we focused so much time on trying to help a man strengthen his family. But what we do have is greater than any level of education. We have a knowledge and strong testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel has all the necessary tools for us to become like and return to our loving Heavenly Father. 

We have been called to teach and learn through knowledge and wisdom of God and hearken not unto the precepts and learning of men. In any problem, whether it be in the family or in your day-to-day interactions and relations with friends, co-workers or whomever it may be, the Gospel is the answer to all problems. The Gospel of Jesus Christ was established by Jesus Christ and he is the head of this church and he is a perfect being. The Gospel teaches us to feast upon the words of Christ or in other words to search carefully The Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon will answer all questions that people have in their souls. 

The correct and true doctrines are also found in this Gospel. The answer is always the doctrine, as David A. Bednar once said in an MTC devotional. Boyd K Packer said that true doctrine understood changes behavior and attitude and that the study of doctrine will change behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. So now the question I propose to you is this. What doctrine can you teach yourself and to others, in order to change your behavior and attitude? 

Understand the Doctrine
Know the Principles that teach the Doctrine
Apply them to your own life

Understand, Know and Application. Faith and patience are so key to these things. The Gospel is for perfecting imperfect people. Perfect meaning "complete".  The Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ is such a beautiful and wonderful gift from God. Let us not forget the power it has to change us, especially in times that we need. Fill your souls with the Gospel and you will become filled with love for the Gospel and our Lord, Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. 

That's it from me family. On a side note, I'm getting more comfortable with the language and I can tell I've improved a lot from the first day I arrived here. Oh and dad once told me after I gave my first blessing in the MTC that "it wouldn't be [my] last, trust me". Dad was definitely right. I gave three last week, and one today before I came to email. I gave one to our investigator last night who has bad headaches and kidney stones. She was in so much pain last night. I normally give blessings in English cause I never felt comfortable in Tagalog. I gave this one mostly in Tagalog. At the end of the blessing she was in tears. I can honestly say that I felt the spirit working through me. When you relax, have faith, and give time for the spirit to speak to your mind and your heart, you will know what to say. It was a great experience. I'm grateful for the great examples of worthy Priesthood holders in my life. Thank you and I love you all.


Sister Leonor Udarve got baptized last Saturday
 Elder Lee-Lo, me and Elder Lesatele, he's going home a little early to prepare for BYU football.
 Us again with sis. Matthes
 Ligao Zone
 Ligao Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment