Monday, February 2, 2015

February 1st - Roel, prospective baptism on the 28th

Good for Nana. I know she will score higher than me and Alton by 10 plus with the way she works and studies in school. I also feel strongly that Alton will be accepted. I really hope so. What Sister Lutui said about the poverty and the happiness of the people in the Philippines is so true. The kids are so happy and they're always having fun. The only people who complain are the foreigners haha. Where is Lynn serving her mission? Haha man they're not my words they're the words of story one of my football coaches, Coach Jorgensen, once shared with our team. I feel honored though haha. I know they'll have great success!

This week was great! We were one shy of last week's total lessons. We hit 35 this week. I also had a temporary companion because Elder Lee-Lo was going to Manila for fingerprinting. Elder Lesatele too, so I became companions with a Filipino, Elder Bunag. Man was he helpful. I really hope to have a Filipino follow up companion to really help me with the language and the culture. We tracted this man in Polangui named Roel. (Me and Elder Lee-Lo's second area we cover) Man is he GOLDEN so far!! First time we saw him he came out with a cigarette and he was hiding it behind his back. Very respectful. Next thing you know we're teaching him and he's wondering why there are so many churches? He's gaining an understanding of the Word of Wisdom too! Long story short he came to church yesterday with his wife, he's been reading the pamphlets, because he asked for them, and also The Book of Mormon. When we taught him how to pray he loved it so much when he closed our lesson. He said it feels so good to pray from the heart and not something repetitive. Every time we teach him his kids are always climbing all over me and they're always sad when we leave. Roel can't help but smile when we are there and teaching him. His wife is good too. Elder Bunag and I committed him to baptism on the 28th of this month. I would be surprised if this date doesn't fall through.

Another quick story this past week. There were these group of teenagers smoking and calling us from a distance "Hey Joe!" over and over. Me and Lee-Lo went over and when I thought Lee-Lo was gonna do something wrong we turned it into a positive. We tracted them and told them our purpose.We ended up teaching two specifically while everyone else just stood around doing their own thing. The 2 men appeared to be almost confounded and humbled from our lesson. We taught the first two principles of the restoration. I thought about Papa and how he was similar to these young men. As a 14 year old boy he would tease the missionaries and now look at the fruits of his labor. He became a very powerful instrument in the hands of the Lord. Never doubt what a person is capable of becoming. 

I remember a video I once watched. It was based off of Elder Russell M. Nelson's talk "With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible"  Think about a pair of binoculars. One lens will be our sight and the other will be the Lord's sight. When we look through ours, how do we observe those we see? Are we quick to say, "oh this person is trouble. There's nothing good about this person. Why would anyone want to be around this person?" Now think about the Lord's perspective. What does he see? He sees the goodness in this person. He sees them as his children. He is the gardener and he knows what he wants them to become and how to grow into their full potential. He sees how wonderful this person is and the happiness they can receive through His gospel. Now if we put both of these lenses together we now have "an eye single to the glory of God". Together with your perception and His perspective, nothing shall be impossible and you will see His personalized plan for you.

My mind reflects on verses 8-10 of the 29th chapter of Alma. I feel as if I were Alma in these verses. It's amazing how helping others along the path to eternal life can bring us such joy. 

Continue to hold fast to the iron rod family and friends. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest thing we can ever receive in this life. Don't let go and don't lose it. Stay faithful and be strong. Till next time.

Love,
Elder Brown

The humble version of America's Gold's Gym
 Poor little cat, got hit by a car
 Papa, I designed this just for you....LAIONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment