Monday, April 13, 2015

April 13th - First transfer - Batan island

Magandang hapon sa inyo lahat!

Dear Elder Brown...You are assigned to labor in the Batan area! Batan is a cool island off of the main land about 2 hours by boat. I finally have my first Pinoy companion Elder Pangilinan, from the hottest part of the Philippines up north. This was my journey to Batan: Take a nice 2 hour boat ride, they didn't take us to the Rapu-Rapu port but stopped one port short so we had to hop on to a small motor boat, get to shore, take off our shoes and socks and walk to dry ground, then we journeyed through the wilderness for about 20 minutes till we finally arrived at our nice home in Batan. Also known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints chapel. Yes, we live in a chapel.

No fridge, we have solar power and our outlet power only works at night. No running water or fridge, so we carry two big buckets to a water pump (about 50 yards away in football terms) hand pump it and then carry it back into the chapel and to the back where we empty into a big trash can used for water. It takes about 4 trips to fill that up and also 2 other big sized washing bowls. I'm finally in an area where I have to do hand washing now. Our bedroom is a small classroom. 

Another great thing about our area are the member families. We get fed every night. We eat fish, fish covered in taro leaves, good sweet potatoes that taste kind of like kumala and that other tongan food I forgot. A lot of rice of course, corn beef, and chicken. It's really good and the families are even better. They are active in the work of salvation and love working with us. Especially with referrals and coming with us to teach their non-member relatives. 

We watched conference this past weekend and man were they great! I really enjoyed Elder Bednar's, Andersen, Renlund, Holland, and Pino if I had to list my top 5. They seemed to relate to my questions that I had in mind very well. As I sat on the boat this early morning my mind reflected on the words of Elder Ringwood in conference and what he shared about Shiblon. I decided to read about this interesting man. He was a man that was faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments. He exercised patience and long-suffering in times of trial during his missionary work. I particularly was drawn to verse 5. I loved it because I feel like I'm back in my training again. Where it's hard to communicate and understand. Adjusting to this new area. The answer to all my fears and questions is to have trust in that God that has called me to be here. Why would he send me here to fail? He has sent me here to be his disciple and learn to trust in His will.  Then shall we be delivered from the bands which bound us.

I'm excited to work this transfer with this knowledge that has rejuvenated me. I love Batan and the plan that the Lord himself has prepared for me. I know that as I fear God my completely, I will love my perfectly, and perfect love casteth out all fear (Bednar). 


Love,


Elder Brown









No comments:

Post a Comment