Monday, December 8, 2014

December 8th - "I feel like Parley P. Pratt"

Magandang Gabi to you all in Utah! Well I know you're curious about the typhoon so here's how it went. It was a nophoon. Small kine. It was just super windy and rainy thats it. Definitely not a super typhoon. 

From last thursday to now we've spent a lot of our time indoors with no proselyting. I think we actually went out once. We had 6:00 at the residence curfew. We experienced a lot of brown outs aka blackouts. On sunday we had no power the whole day. Church was cancelled and we went over to the Sisters apartment and had sacrament. It was an 8 person meeting. 

With all this time indoors I spend the majority of my time "[seeking] first the kingdom of God" In 3 Nephi 13:33 the Savior promised that if we "seek first the kingdom of God, all these things shall be added unto you" I desire to "draw near unto him" so he can "draw near unto me" while he is still near. Being in the Philippines has done something to me. I love reading. Before I knew it 7 hours had passed by and we had to plan for tomorrow. I can search the Book of Mormon all day. Before my mission yeah I would read and then thats it. But I truly have learned to study the words out in my mind continually. The words contained in the Book of Mormon will tell you all things that you should do. They testify and witness of Christ, they contain the fullness of doctrine, it is the foundation of testimony, it is the most correct book on earth and that by abiding by its precepts we can grow closer to God than by any other book. I feel like Parley P. Pratt when he first read the Book of Mormon: "I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading than sleep."

With all this said, think about all the blessings God has in store for those who truly gain a testimony of this book. It is the most powerful resource in conversion. The lesson I'll always remember and be grateful for is this:

All the challenges I've faced and all the fears I've dealt with have all been felt by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He knows how I feel. And through The Book of Mormon I have grown closer to the Savior. I have a stronger desire to be like Him. I'm so grateful for the many weaknesses and challenges that I have been blessed with because it means the Lord knows that through them not only will we draw near to Him but we will become more like Him. I will forever be grateful and I know that I am an unprofitable servant to our Savior Jesus Christ. For I am nothing and I am weak without him. He has blessed me with weaknesses that I love or I would not seek Him. I am grateful for my imperfections for it is through Jesus Christ and His Atonement we can be perfected.

I challenge you all to go to the Lord and the Book of Mormon for answers and guidance in your life. When you need peace, when you need to answer questions that have sunk deep into your heart and your mind I promise you and the Lord promises you that if you study and search The Book of Mormon you will know through the Spirit that the words are true and they will help you.

Here's some helpful tips:

Apply it to yourself. Liken them to yourself. Think about your own life and what you desire or need. Search, analyze and apply as Elder Brown 1 once told me.

Make connections and find patterns in the scriptures. Use the footnotes for help too.

Put yourself in their shoes. Think about what you would do.

Watch the way God works. Study his ways, watch for His hand in the lives of Nephi and his family, the wicked, Alma, Amaleki, The Sons of Mosiah, Gideon, and many more.

Pray for the Spirit and pour out your desires to God. Ask him about what you read. Let him know how you feel. 

Family I love you all so much and miss you all kind of. haha. I'm having a lot of fun here in Polangui. Mahal kita! Sorry I forgot to bring my camera so wala pics para ngayon!

Elder Brown 2


No comments:

Post a Comment