Monday, December 8, 2014

December 5th - Typhoon warning

Kumusta po pamilya! 

Where do I even begin? Im proud of our youth participating in the Ward Mini mission. It definitely was a great experience for me. The home looks beautiful and so does everyone else. 

So when I last emailed we were only allowed to email a short paragraph and that's it dahil walang oras para sa email. (because no time for email.)  We just had to to inform you that we were alive. Which is the purpose of this email too kinda. 

My stay in the Manila MTC was great. A lot of Filipinos and polynesians. We arrived here in Legazpi December 4th around 2. We had 2 delays at the airport in Manila. Legazpi is a very green and beautiful land. Many palm trees and green everywhere. The zone im in right now is the Ligao zone and my specific area is Oas and Polangui. My companion is from Samoa. Not American Samoa. Samoa. He's proud of that. His name is Elder Lee Lo. He's my trainer. He has 3 months left. We've taught about 4 lessons now. Many people are busy or push it off. Man i've never prayed more in my life. Meaningfully. It bugs me when personal study is over because I just wanna read the Book of Mormon all day. It's an amazing feeling. The spirit is so strong and you learn so much. 

Everyone is always telling me I will get the language and it will come. It's all a matter of patience. Not being able to share all that I want to say and also understand is very difficult. Being here has been the hardest thing I've ever loved. Which is exactly what a mission is. The Lord hasnt sent me here to fail. He has commanded me to "go amongst my brethren the [Filipinos] and bear with patience [mine] afflictions and [He} will give [me] success." (Alma 26:27) I challenge you all to liken this unto yourself. For that is how we can understand God better, the scriptures better, and gaining faith in our abilities.

My mind has continually pondered upon the words in the scriptures. I believe its in D&C 88 i cant remember. "draw near unto me and i will draw near unto you." I strongly desire to have the Lord's presence near me. Especially with this difficult challenge I am faced with. "There's no growth in a comfort zone and no comfort in a growth zone."

Well Mom I hope you stay calm when I tell you this but we are expecting a super baguio (super typhoon) to hit by our area. It's expected to come at anytime which is why im emailing today and not Monday. I know I will survive and I know that God's ways are just. If anything serious happens me it is just and His will. I am prepared to meet maker. But dont worry mom I really will be safe. We have to be in our apartment at 6 tonight. 

Although this time in my life has been the most challenging I wouldnt have it any other way. Had it been easy I wouldnt have been brought closer to our Heavenly Father. Who sees fit to test our faith and patience in Him. For His ways and his thoughts are higher than man's. Had it been easy I wouldnt have drawn closer to the Savior and his Atoning sacrifice in the Garden of Gethsemane. His purpose in being slain for sins of the world and being lifted up on the cross is to draw all men unto him. (3 Nephi 27 14) \

Nagpapasalamat po ako para kay Jesucristo at Pagbabayad-sala niya dahil alam ko po na sa pamamagitan ng Pagbabayad-sala  puwede tayong maging katulad kay Cristo at pagtanggap ng lakas. Alam ko po na totoo dito sa pangalan ni Jesucristo Amen.

(I am grateful for Jesus Christ and his Atonement because I know that through the Atonement we can become Christ-like and receive strength. I know this to be true in the name of Jesus Christ amen.)

Love,
Elder Brown2



November 27th - Elder Brown left on Thanksgiving day.  He called from the airport to say goodbye.  Probably 18 hours later, I received this short email:

"I've arrived sa Pilipinas! Im safe and Elder Lile is giving me a massage right now and it feels good. It's cause he's from Vava'u. Im alive and having fun here at the Manila MTC. Everything is beautiful and the rain is great. Mahal kita pamilya! We will go tracting/on splits with the missionaries here in a few hours."

No comments:

Post a Comment